Monday, February 23, 2009

Stienbecks in Oakhurst, not quite complete but a good start for 2 hours.
U-Joint in Oakhurst, not completed yet but a good start. I've been painting with a friend Allen Rogers in this neighborhood and really enjoy meeting the people and getting to know the community.
Chattahoochee River painting with friends Jami Riley and Shane McDonald on a crisp but wonderful Sunday afternoon. This is a 6 X 12 inch plein air study in oil. I liked the horizontal feel and distinct foreground and background elements in this. The light was just wonderful that day and at 4:30pm it made everything glow.
This is the first of two paintings I did at the Chattahoochee River. The light was a bit flatter and the colors not as rich as later in the afternoon. I still think its a great little two hour painting which is 6 X 8 inches in oil.

I knocked this one out yesterday along the roadside in Milton Ga, (use to be Alpharetta). I've looked at this scene many times at different times of day. I was traveling up there to do a mural for Milton High School about a year ago. I had to go back up to touch it up because someone vandalized it. So as luck would have it I finished at about 4pm and on the way saw the light hitting the barns just right. I travel with paint and my plein-air box in the car these days, so
I went for it. I'm happy I did because this was the result. It was worth freezing out there to do this. I kept it simple, broad strokes of color and carefully sculpted my shapes. It may be one of my best plein-air studies yet. 

As you can see, I've been keeping busy painting a little outdoors, though the weather is still a bit cool.  I look forward to the spring, warmer weather and more opportunities to get out and make new friends, artist and art appreciators alike.

I'm starting to teach an evening class at my studio on Tuesdays from 7 to 9pm. If you know of anyone who wants to work on their drawing skills please let them know.
Thanks,
Charles

No comments:

Post a Comment