Saturday, January 16, 2010

2010 begins, a new year, a new decade!

Happy New Year to all of you who follow this page, I hope you all find the next year and decade one of prosperity, hope and grateful blessings.

The end of 2009 whizzed by and I have since completed several work of art I'd like to share with you. I'm in the process of moving toward having a clearer and stronger voice in my art. I'm seldom working on commission these days which gives me the freedom to express my personal views with out fear of offending someone. Having a nearly full time job with Fulton County limits my time to do my creative work, yet affords me the opportunity to explore while not worrying about selling my work. I'm thankful for this and hope to grow in ways I can't even fathom yet.

So here are some of my latest offerings:



Stewart Scogins, age 21

This is a quick sketch of my son, I did from life on my last trip to Chattanoogha to visit him.




Cavalia Sunrise, Atlantic Station, Atlanta GA
Oil on canvas, 9X12

This piece was painted plein-air on a morning which was 28degrees just after the New Year. I completed the details indoors in an environment more concussive to completing a painting.




This is a 9 X 12 figure study completed at Shane McDonald's Studio one recent Wednesday evening. It's always fun for me to paint with that group and this model is becoming one of my favorites to paint. I've considered going back into the piece to achieve a more finished look, but I've come to the conclusion that the painting is already complete and to go further with it would only risk losing some of the feeling it already has.




This is a little sentimental piece I've recently completed as a wedding gift that someone requested. It's yet to be purchased or viewed but I feel the concept is correct and I'm looking forward to showing to the person who requested it.



Mermaids have preoccupied my thoughts these days and I have expressed them in clay. The image to the right was a small vessel I created which inspired me to explore the figure mounted on a wave to the left. Each have the same green finish which is more accurate in the image of the vessel. Funny what light will do on a surface! I've enjoyed the process of creating them which has lead me to try new things this year in ceramics as a media. I want to explore not only the forms but also the surface and colors I can get. I'll post more as my explorations continue.

So, go make some art and have a bit of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment